Monday, July 29, 2013

My Date With Hawkey


Actually, it was a date with Keith, last Friday night, but Bob Hawke was there. Grumpy, impressive and incredibly hirsute, that's my take-away. Bob was alright as well.

We were at a Labor Party function celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the Franklin Dam environmental campaign. Run by these guys, in case you're interested. Bob talked the small crowd through his memories of the campaign. My friend Carol (political animal, goofball and seriously impressive woman) invited us, and I found it fascinating to check out the politicos in the room and swan about a little, pretending I spent my days in more lofty pursuits than wiping poo-bums and cracking jokes on the internet. White Anglo Saxon middle aged men in suits were robustly represented, in case you were worried about them. During Hawkey's speech, Keith's pocket somehow switched on the Winnie The Pooh app on my phone, but other than that, I think we got away with it.

I had a few whoite woines, and then Keith and I caught a taxi downtown and ate tapas. We had such a good time. I may have waved my wineglass and harangued Keith at some length over the patatas bravas about the importance of being politically engaged and tried to convince him to become sort sort of solar energy go-to-guy. In the morning, Keith asked me if I was still planning on becoming a Labor activist.

Who am I kidding? I can barely activate the microwave.

Great night though.

.

2 comments:

  1. Daisy D'Arcy from POMlandJuly 30, 2013 at 5:29 AM

    I have never told you how much you cheer me up. I always look for you on a Monday because, well, I find Mondays hard and as you are 12 hours ahead you are usually, well, ahead.
    You are funny and real and totally awesome.
    Thanks for cheering me up on many Mondays. Hope it was a good one and not a poo bum one! Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daisy, that's really a very nice thing to hear on a Monday. You've set me up for the week...but I'm sorry you find Mondays hard - I hope just for general Mondayitis reasons and nothing too horrible. xxRach

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.