Sunday, July 7, 2013

Ivy's Op Shop. Come Now! Come Then!

Ivy has spent the last couple of days planning a shop and it opened at the end of the driveway today.  She sold oranges, cards, jewellery and a lucky dip that contained home-made rulers and poetry.

'Mum, I am imagining a line of people stretching right up the road,' she told me last night. I thought I'd better manage he expectations a little. 'There might not be that many customers,' I said. 'It's a pretty quiet road.'

'No,' she said. 'I think so many people will come and they'll be, like...' She started pretending to walk along the road. 'What's this? Ivy's...what? Op shop? Wow! What is she selling? Oh, yes, jewellery, and lucky dips! Great! Wow! Awesome!'

'Well, it hope it works out for you, ' I said.

When Ivy set up her table she was thrilled to write SOLD across the 'cards' section of her sign. She had sold all her card stock to Nanna and her Aunty Sam the day before. Sam bought my favourite, which had a crying person on the front and the cheery phrase Sorry! Inside Ivy had lettered To: and From: with spaces to fill in the names and the transgression. Sam gave it back to me that night on my birthday present. 'Sorry!' she wrote. I didn't buy you a birthday card.'

Ivy and Ted sat and waited for the rush hour.



It was, as I feared, a very quiet Sunday. 








What else could I do? I quietly called Nanna and Pop. Good old Nanna and Pop. 




Nanna closed her eyes as instructed and rummaged in the lucky-dip. She fished out a poem. It read 'Love.  Love.  I love my dove. My dove in love with me.' Morally spurious, but very sweet.

Ivy invented a sales cry. 'Ivy's Op Shop!' she and Teddy shouted, at any sound of a distant car.  'Come now! Come then!' They spent hours sitting at their little table at the end of the driveway valiantly calling for custom. There were a few staff problems. At one stage - it was hard to get the full details - somebody drew on somebody else's paper and somebody yelled in somebody's face. Teddy took his break. He stomped past me at the door and I watched Ivy do a tragic sales call. 'Ivy's Op Shop!' she wailed, voice trembling. 'Come Now! Come th-e-e-e-en!'

In the end, a young couple walking their dog stopped and bought some items, and that marked the close of business. I would myself have called it a pretty failed business model, but Ivy was delighted and says she is going to run the shop every weekend from now on.

Nanna and Pop are going to go broke.




28 comments:

  1. Oh... Oh! Heartbreakingly sweet. I love that she doesn't open up some mundane little shop, but instead goes for an Op Shop.
    I would have loved to buy something next time, but I am afraid it is a little bit too far away from Europe...

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know when she starts taking online orders Fine. And where are you, out of interest? And is it hot?

      Delete
  2. You can't actually make up the goodness that is "come now! come then!". Even if you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally awesome! She really should set up an etsy store selling the 'sorry' card - I suspect there's a big market for that. You really can't top a lucky dip with poetry inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - The sorry card was very good. Lots of tears running down the face...

      Delete
  4. Oh I love this. Come now, come then :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart just flip-flopped a little reading this. And the pictures! That lonely stretch of road, Teddy leaning forward in his chair in anticipation, George looking witheringly at the camera as if to say "Mum, if I ever suggest opening a shop, please just remind me of this moment and distract me with new undies or something." When Ivy opens her online shop, I'm so there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those magical things to watch really Mich, the two of them living in kid-thinking land. x

      Delete
  6. Oh my word, it's late so that must be the reason why I'm typing through huge, gloppy tears. Wah! Your gorgeous girl (and shop assistant). Just know there is a line a mile long in my heart right now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron, mine too. I may have yelled at the dog-walkers from my perch at the doorway 'Stop you guys! there is good stuff in the shop there!'...What's a mum to do?

      Delete
  7. So cute! I used to have stalls when I was a little girl. I'd sell flowers I had picked out of someone's garden. We lived along the river and not many people went past at all! That never stopped me though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there's something about the powerful act of just being the shopkeeper, isn't there? the customers are a bit secondary...

      Delete
  8. I loved this post! I remember setting up a stall with my neighbor, we raided our houses for stuff we could sell. My dad came past to see what he could buy. He bought his own slippers back lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, god bless Dads. Ivy's dad bought an orange. xx

      Delete
  9. Oh, I missed the rewind this week so a BIG thank you to Bron for pointing me your way - totally enchanting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the most adorable thing I have read for quite a while! Sorry. I didn't buy you a birthday card. SWOON.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magic! What a beautiful moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by via Bron's recommendation from last week's Rewind. Sorry I missed you! But very happy to have been pointed your way now. Precious. Just precious. I really hope now that my own little girl wants to set up her own shop at the end of our driveway! Ours is a relatively busy road, she might have a bit of luck! Or maybe it's just the little girl inside me who wants a driveway shop of her very own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than one customer not related to her would have blown Ivy's mind....

      Delete
  13. Oh I love it! Kids' imaginations are beautiful. What little entrepreneurs! :) I'm sure if your babies start their own business when they grow up, they can look back at this post and smile :)
    Beautiful writing here - I found you via Bron. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carly! So nice to see you here. I'm a big fan of yours. x

      Delete
  14. This is priceless, If all your stories are this engaging I'll be back again and again!
    My hubby tells the story of he and his 3 siblings selling bunches of parsley and scorpions in old film canisters on the side of a country lane....what a combinations of good huh!
    Liv x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsley and scorpions? My god kids are nutcases...through the ages...

      Delete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.