Monday, June 17, 2013

That Time Ivy Cuddled The Dalai Lama

I'm in bed as I write this, bone tired after a 5am start to the day, weary with that kind of fizzy, adrenalin-dump exhaustion you feel after an emotional experience. 

This week, Ivy has pulled out her first two teeth, graduated to a big bunk bed, and this morning she was incredibly lucky to be included in an on-stage panel with the Dalai Lama at the Young Minds conference in Sydney. 

It's all happening so fast! 

My little baby!

Ivy asked the Dalai Lama a question. 'My favourite book is Nim's Island,' she said. 'What is your favourite book?' He thought as he held her hand. 'I like books about space,' he said. Ivy was utterly tongue tied up there under the lights, big eyes taking in the cameras, the microphones, the huge audience, the smiling man in the big orange dress... She was so brave, so little, smiling her gappy smile and pulling nervous comedy faces. The Dalai Lama cuddled her. He sat her on his lap, and he held her head and blessed her. All the while, Keith, Ivy's two grandmas and I watched from the audience, bursting with pride as we clutched each other and told everybody in the surrounding rows 'She's ours! She's ours!'



For me, it was a rite of passage, of sorts. That was my little girl up there, having this profound and meaningful encounter, this  experience that she will remember long after I'm gone. I felt the weight of time. The wondrous gift of being the guardian, the champion, the minder of a small human. I imagined the unexpected paths that Ivy might lead me down, and I felt so lucky to have the chance to be watch her life unfold, however it may.   


18 comments:

  1. Well that doesn't happen every day! Well done Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael that is the most amazing thing EVER! That tiny little girl of yours up there on the stage, all by herself. I'm proud, I can only imagine how you feel! Kellie xx
    PS Conversation a few nights ago when we saw the Dalai Lama on tv ...
    Me to O: 'that's the most influential spiritual leader in the whole world'
    O: Yeah? My Dads taller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slam! Take that, shorty! Love it. It was amazing Kell. x

      Delete
  3. I tweeted you last night about this! I saw Ivy in the SMH online and I knew it was her before I even saw the name! How fantastic- what a thrill. Did you bawl? I would have bawled. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally bawled Cath. And then the Herald interviewed me and I bawled again...

      Delete
  4. Wow. What an experience for you all, Ivy's face in the photos says it all. I love that she asked him what his favourite book is, I think that's one of the most revealing questions you can ask anyone. Bravo Ivy! Bxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bex. I loved that question too. x

      Delete
  5. That is such an amazing experience - just wow! I can't decide which photo I like better, I just love both of her facial expressions!

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ivy - I'm SO proud of you!!!! I couldn't think of a better 6-year-old-girl to be up on stage with the Dalai Lama x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I burst with pride enough for all of us Jodes. And thank you x

      Delete
  7. Oh that is so so so wonderful. A truly brilliant experience. Marvellous.

    ... and I adore that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one Ivy. If you and the Dalai Lama can't achieve world peace and 100% literacy, no one can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.