Friday, June 7, 2013

Pictures of Poo and Other Dark Corners of The Internets

Life, she busy. The term is cranking into top gear, as this mother so hilariously described this week. Perhaps my favourite part is where she shares some tips on managing homework readers: 

“No, we don’t have to read tonight.”
“YES WE DO!!! MRS. BURKE SAID!!! WE HAAAAVE TO!!!”
“We already read.”
“NO WE DIDN’T!!! YOU ARE FAKING ME, MOM?”
“When I talk to you during the day, that’s like reading. You have to listen to the words I am saying and then make sense of them. It’s really hard work for you. It’s called auditory reading. We’ve been practicing all day. I’ll write the minutes down in your log.” 


A note came home from our school this week asking parents to remind children not to use the library computers to look at inappropriate content. 'What happened, Ivy?' I asked with perhaps unseemly excitement. 'Somebody googled something really naughty.' she said. I pressed for details, and she thought for a while. 'Like, 'pictures of poo' or something like that.' 

Oh, my little darling, I thought. Never grow up. 

It's been a bit of an up-and-down month, emotionally. This mother beautifully describes the sense of being occasionally 'paralysed by it all'. The existential pain of housework, and the relentless forward-motion of parenthood.

Life is so good. But it is hard work too, yes?

I am downloading an episode of Mad Men for tonight. I shall apply it as a soothing balm to my minor worries, along with hazelnut chocolate, a cup of tea (or three) and an early night in preparation for a quick visit to see my little sister in the countryside. I wish you the same small joys this weekend, but however strong the temptation, you must resist the urge to google 'pictures of poo.' It is the absolute worst possible thing on the Internet.

3 comments:

  1. The mind boggles that people would actually photograph their poo....

    Enjoy MM and Don. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes. Amen to all of that. And then some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my last comment verification "GoDLly niTs" is there a message in that somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.