Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What Does The Inside Of Your Fridge Look Like?

What lurks inside the fridges of strangers? Photographer Mark Menjivar will tell you. He spent three years photographing fridges across the USA and his You Are What You Eat series is a fascinating insight into the lives of others. (The following descriptions are Mark's.)

 Owner of Defunct Amusement Park | Alpine, TX | 1-Person Household | Former WW II Prisoner of War


  Short Order Cook | Marathon, TX | 2-Person Household | She can bench press over 300lbs

                      (Note:  keeps snake in freezer. DO NOT send your eggs back to this woman. )

 Bar Tender | San Antonio, TX | 1-Person Household | Goes to sleep at 8AM and wakes up at 4PM daily

(When Mark returned to re-photograph this bartender,  he had lost 100 pounds and completely changed his eating habits.)

 Construction Worker/House Wife | San Angelo, TX | 4-Person Household | Wakes every morning at 4AM to cook breakfast for family

 Engineer | Lower Pottsgrove, PA | 17-Person Household | Italian-Puerto Rican Family Reunion

Food Artist | Brooklyn, NY | 1-Person Household | Runs small vegan bakery from her apartment

(Could this hipster vegan may be sneaking butter into her recipes? For shame! And deliciousness!) 


Midwife/Middle School Science Teacher | San Antonio, TX | 4-Person Household (including dog) | First week after deciding to eat all local produce

(Almost painful, isn't it, the optimism of 'first week'? Bless )

Writer/Blogger/ Light Domestic Comedy Sphere  | Poorly groomed but optimistic Australia | Husband eats like binge-disordered seagull | Decent cook, slatternly housewife.

You can read a transcript of Mark's interview with Lynn Rosetta Caspar of The Splendid Table here.

5 comments:

  1. yours is so neat, please tell me you did this just for the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire it's real! But it does like quite organised, I agree. I promise this neat fridge bears no relationship to the rest of my house. I am just always, always in the kitchen trying to find more space in that fridge for the next round of food...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is almost as neat and tidy as the engineers!
    And I would love to see the fresh produce one a week later....all that limpness (or is that just what happens in mine.....? Such good intentions.....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, yours IS neat! You are clearly into ORDER!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me homesick. I particularly like the green tupperware container. Does it have celery in it?

    My own fridge is stuck in a perpetual loop of "optimistic week one" and "why-am-I-such-a-failure week three". At least I have hope.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.