Friday, April 5, 2013

Bookshelf: Celebrities! They're Just Like Us! Except Crazy!

Recently I read a book by Kendra Wilkinson, who shot to fame as one of Hugh Hefner's trio of girlfriends in the hit show 'Girls Of The Playboy Mansion', an incisive and searing cultural examination of modern sexual mores. In 'Being Kendra: Cribs, Cocktails and Getting My Sexy Back', she examines 'life after baby'.

Also, she explores being an absolute nut job.

Let me give you 'Kendra in the shower':

'Usually, I'll make toast or an egg sandwich and a coffee and a smoothie and bring it all into the shower with me. I kind of have it all scattered round like a buffet. Some things are on the bath ledge, some things on the sink counter, some stuff on the floor. I'll put my coffee (in a covered to-go mug) on the soap dish and my sandwich right by my razor - close enough for me to grab but still not get wet. Maybe I'll leave my smoothie on the sink and kind of peek out from the curtain and grab a few sips here and there. I'll be shaving with one hand and have a coffee in the other, or have a loofah in one hand with soap suds trying to wash my body while I'm chowing down on an egg sandwich in the other hand...That's something I do almost every time I shower in the morning, and I do it all so quickly and efficiently that it allows me so much more time each week to spend with my family.' .

I am not just mocking Kendra. Well,  I am totally mocking Kendra, but I am also grateful to her for inventing the personal hygiene/breakfast combo, and putting it on the page for me to enjoy. No judgement. Yes, she eats egg sandwiches while she soaps her mammoth bosom. But I transcribed her detailed showering routine, and I published it on the Internet, so I am clearly the bigger idiot.

I can warmly recommend Kendra's masterwork for its wonderful accidental absurdism, but I strongly suggest quickly applying Michael Eugenides The Marriage Plot to your brain afterwards. This wonderful book is even, more, like totally well written then. Hey! Why not take it into the shower with a nice prawn risotto and a Bellini?

6 comments:

  1. I'm guessing she's bulimic. Makes perfect sense to eat in the bathroom. Maybe she just pops her head out from behind the shower curtain and barfs straight into the toilet. So much easier to tidy yourself up when you're in the shower. And think of that time-saver! That's THREE jobs done at once!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmm...excellent multi-tasking point. No other signs of bulimia in the book though, maybe saving that bombshell for vol 2?

      Delete
  2. That is just plain hilarious. And it cannot be for real - can it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, for real KK. Lots of other nutty takes on life scattered throughout. I found it so amusing. Honestly I need to read some Tolstoy.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, Kendra, that's really gross. GROSS. And yes, I can't imagine she actually eats all that food every morning. And rather than saving the time by eating by yourself so you can spend more time with your family .... wouldn't you be better off just eating breakfast with the family?! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gross, yes, but also, just almost theatrically bizarre. The picture is so detailed and the explanation about spending time with family just so nuts right?

      Delete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.