Friday, March 15, 2013

Spot The Difference!

There's a downward spiral of illness and injury going on around these parts and I feel my reputation is slipping south as well.

Here are Jessica Alba and her daughter Honor in Paris. Honor does not appear to have a disfiguring skin infection. 

Yesterday I had to go to the chemist to refill Georgie's antibiotics prescription. She has school sores, and the lingering end of a virus we think was hand, foot and mouth. Both of these illnesses have a Dark Ages vibe and poor Georgie has not been looking her finest, what with the weeping pustules and the angry demeanour.  

At the doctor paying our bill,  George said 'Bye!' in her little chipmunks voice and then she blew the receptionist a kiss. 'Oh!' the woman said. 'That would have been the most adorable thing ever, except for the...' She gestured at the baby's spotty chin. 

'I know,' I said. 

This is Victoria Beckham with her daughter Harper. Victoria seems to be wearing no spilled  food, milk, or random human protein on her clothing at all.  

George was still supposed to be in isolation, but when you have three kids, what can you do? Sometimes you cannot avoid hauling them around the joint. They require an obscene amount of shopping and managing and administration. So I strapped her in the stroller, which she hates, and I waited at the chemist amongst the drooping, elderly and flu-blown for our turn to be served. 

George wailed and fought to get out of her stroller, gesturing angrily to me at all the colourful boxes begging to be swept off the shelves. Teddy was covered in the detritus of a busy day at pre-school. Also, the night before, he'd wallowed underwater in Georgie's coconut oil bath, so his hair was lank and greasy. 

Ivy had been home sick,  and was dressed by the afternoon in a ridiculous combination of  gear; including her 'Ms' t-shirt, a pair of tracksuit pants too small, her school shoes and a pair of giant women's socks. I'm sick too. It goes without saying that I looked like I'd been shagged through a hedge backwards.  

Katie Holmes and Suri, who match in the Elegant Casual mother-daughter way, rather than the hillbilly-health-crisis look that my children and I have been sporting this season. 

Ted was off pre-school and at the doctors today with another random and weird health issue. My illness is morphing into a stomach bug. Self-pity and Panadol are keeping me in forward motion. Happy weekending my friends! Have a drink and be happy you're not us!

14 comments:

  1. Chins up Mogantoshes. Thinking of youse. S xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Sal. Crossing my legs in solidarity!

      Delete
  2. Oh, shit Rachael. Hang in there. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just whinging Kell. We are on the mend, but it sucks to get sick when you can't just properly rest and get over it. Being a mum means having a cold drag on and on forever. Nearly better, and then one night up and down with a sick kid and your immune system is shot again.

      Delete
  3. oooh so been there with the hand, foot and mouth...so terrible for the kiddos (and parents). whatever you do, don't google it for images. Whatever you see is not likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Googling images for any medical issue is always a bad step. 'Nappy rash' springs to mind also.

      Delete
  4. This reminded me of when my kids were little, and gave me a cold shiver. Thank god it doesn't last forever. I feel (or at least remember) your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get thee to a bath with a book woman . . . hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee, I hope you all get better soon. And I hope a long time without ANYONE being sick follows - would only be fair, me thinks...

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you want to be endlessly drowing in snot and mystery germs? Not really. Do you want to look like your baby was photoshopped onto your hip? Absolutely not. Choices, choices... Sadly I cannot drink for you but I shall make an effort to consume extra amounts of chocolate. I do what I can. Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above and beyond the call of friendship Bex, please make it dark fruit and nut mix of some kind, kthx.

      Delete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.