Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Siestas, Crazed Composers and Carers Rights.

From my earholes to yours, here are three great podcasts I have listened to lately while washing up or folding laundry. Have you listened to anything interesting lately? Let me know, I'm always on the lookout.

Winston Churchill used to start work at 7am, then have a nice long nap in the afternoon. In the evening, he would have dinner with all his staff, after which they would watch a movie together. A Western, perhaps. Then they would spread out the war maps and work until one or two a.m. Winston, of course, was full of beans after his siesta. His poor staff didn't have that luxury. Ah, it's good to be the king. Listen here. 

Beethoven's symphonies are set to an incredibly fast tempo. Why? Was his metronome broken? (Nope, that theory was debunked when it was discovered, remarkably preserved and keeping good time.) This podcast explores the fascinating theory that Beethoven wanted his music played incredibly fast - impossibly fast, in fact. He wanted his musicians to be falling over the notes, unable to keep up, in order to imbue his music with a sense of wildness and insanity. It's totally rock and roll. Listen here.

Helen Sage became her daughters carer after a car accident left Jane with an acquired brain injury. Helen tells her story and advocates for Jane with a calm, measured intelligence that is profoundly moving. Her thoughts on carers rights are heartbreakingly practical. Carers need a break after an eight hour day, she says. They need two days off a week, and they need annual leave. It seems so little to ask as a baseline, but shamefully,  this is where we are.  Listen here. 

Happy listening. x

2 comments:

  1. I found this one riveting. Stories of survival always make me wonder if I could have the strength and courage to survive and go on living in those circumstances.

    "When a firestorm engulfed the bushland around Ann's home in Upper Beaconsfield, she and her young daughters were trapped in its path.

    Ann protected the girls as a fireball swept over them and in doing so, sustained burns to 85% of her body.

    She was not expected to survive"

    Here's the link http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/02/11/3687694.htm?&section=article&date=%28none%29

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good TED talk when I am washing up or folding laundry. I've heard so many wonderful ones lately (via the TED app on my phone) that it's hard to narrow it down to a couple of favourites. Rare to hit a dull one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.