Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beyond The Clouds, Sunshine.

Excellent news this week from the neurosurgeon. He thinks my weird lump is a bursa formed over a piece of spinal instrumentation. It will take managing, but is not a marker of something more sinister, for instance that the hooks and screws and rods that inhabit my spine are starting to break apart and I will need some kind of awful surgery to put me back together, Humpty Dumpty style.

Thank you, daytime nightmares, you can leave me now.

I have some degeneration and bulging in the old discs but that can be managed too. I have been trying to do a session or two from this yoga app every day, and I am generally feeling much stronger than I was a month ago.

I feel relieved that the spectre of surgery isn't facing me. And in the way of the universe, I have been hyper-aware of the suffering of others around me and grateful for my good fortune. Kim the blogger, for instance, whose descriptions of her pain would bring a tear to the eye of a politician. I've read Stephanie Nielsen's memoir this week, and once you get past the gushy god-bothering, it is an incredible tale of resilience. Nothing like people with real worries to remind you what a massive baby you are.

I feel the sun on my shoulders this week. All the small wonders of my life are sparkling. Keith needed a picture for a science journal bio, so we snapped him looking serious but wearing my lady-specs, Ivy and are I are baking the solar system in dough, Ted is possibly some kind of dot-to-dot genius, and Georgie's baby-mullet is really coming along well.

I wish the same mundane, glorious joys for you.

5 comments:

  1. YAY! Such good news! I have been thinking about you during the last few days, especially since a friend of mine had to have an MRI to find out if she needed spinal surgery. Guess what? She, too, doesn't need it. Double yay! I am so glad to hear that everything is manageable with not-invasive methods - and happy that the sun is shining for you. (And looking forward to a picture of the baby mullet...)

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fine, and good luck to your friend too. x

      Delete
  2. yay for sunshine on your shoulders - and a good report from the N/Surg and baby mullets. Cant beat them. Have read that book too and yes she is one v resilient woman. Amazing story really. I give credit to her series of love letters to Mr Nielson for allowing me to appreciate and fall in love with my husband all over again during some tough times some years back. Heres to more good fortune and strength and health in your back. Back pains a bitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is just better with baby mullets in it. And I agree, their relationship is inspiring. Way to prioritise the romance! Thanks for your kind thoughts xx

      Delete
  3. Oh HURRAH. Have been thinking of you since last week. So pleased that Humpty gets to stay in the books (nb, baking the solar system...? This is just brilliant). Go Ivy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.