Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pasta Machine Love.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pasta machine and it has been a winner. Little T-Bone is able to handle the wheel with some help, and he loves to do it. Ivy is big enough to understand the process and I have spent some proud moments watching her work alone,  dusting the rollers with flour, feeding the dough through, changing the settings and finally, turning the cutting wheel. It is a wonderfully gratifying process - so tactile, and with rewardingly simple mechanics. A little work,  and a pile of egg and flour turns into silken threads of spaghetti. 

I loved to see the drying pasta in the kitchen,. It made me feel-a like-a such-an-Italian - mamma! Unfortunately, once the strands dried and I tried to take them down they snapped all over the joint, and my Nigella bubble burst. Again.  I think it needs to dry out on a nice safe tea-towel on the counter.  So much less decorative though. 


 (just prior to back-to-school haircut here! Look at that mane. And I love that the apron Ivy is wearing was sewn by her great-great grandmother, Nana Goodie. )




Of course, once these craft-crazy kids realised you could shred paper through the rollers, they were obsessed. And they hate to pass up a comedic opportunity - so this is how they set the table.  


 Finally, the end result - pasta coma. The family fell on the leftovers like ravenous (Italian) dingoes. It was a feeders dream.


We have made a few batches of pasta now, and it is divine every time, despite our mistakes. For the kids back-to-school feast (they choose the menu), we made two big bowls of our favourites: pesto, and creamy chorizo. You can find a great pesto recipe over at Beth's blog, and here is the tomato and chorizo recipe I love - mama mia, I am hungry just thinking about it.

I think I am going to institute pasta-making as an after school activity. There is something very calming and nurturing about the process. Hands in the food, dinner at the end...a winner all round.



2 comments:

  1. Cаrefully permit go and then establiѕheԁ the ѕpidеr upsidе dοωn (wіth
    itѕ legs in the aіr) to dry. Ѕcοrching aiг
    ballоοn rideѕ in excesѕ οf the
    goгge аre alѕo cоmplеtely wеll lіked.
    Τhе blood οf people who dwell а lіfespan of tаke in,
    consume anԁ bе meггy is stаnԁard and
    theiг breathіng is awfully sωiftly.
    Here is my web blog - http://bootcarl85.busythumbs.com/entry_id/705383/action/viewentry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I admire your pasta making skills yet another thing I intend to try. However I had to smile when I saw your washing pile .... thank goodness other people have piles of washing living on bed, tables and couches. Sometimes I feel like unfolded washing is taking over my life!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.