Tuesday, October 9, 2012

In Which I Pull Up My Emotional Socks, Slightly


Thanks for your words of support and advice on my rant o'horrors.

Today I tried to shake off my malaise and embrace the life I have chosen. The life I love. Yes, one of the shocking things one must come to terms with on having children is that your right to be gloriously lazy is curtailed FOREVER, and replaced with a proximity to poo that you never dreamed possible. Yes, housework disappears like smoke, like it never happened at all. Yes, stepping on Lego hurts like fuck.

But I breathed in as I stood on the deck this morning and thought hard about the coffee in my hand, the  healthy children squabbling inside, the friends down the road always ready to make me laugh, and the life in my lungs, which I take for granted way too often.

Today after school the kids and I started learning clarinet via YouTube. After dinner the whole family danced to Loudon Wainwright. And in the bath tonight, I ate chocolate while I read Julia Child's memoir about life in 1950's Paris.

Life, it's full on. It's  sublime. It's ball breaking. And if you're lucky, it all just keeps on rolling in.

10 comments:

  1. In the last two posts you have captured life so perfectly...the ups and the downs....glad to hear you are on the upswing and gratitude sits a little more closely...most likely cause you did let it all out in the post before...n let it go! Hugs...the zen of the coffee and breathing in the ocean n trees...n music, dance, fun and laughter...all such good friends on this motherhood journey...love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lis, it was definitely a black day. I am feeling much more together...xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Rach this post made me cry tears of joy (I'm a bit emotional these day, understandably). And the post before was so perfect and honest, you summed it up so well. So many things you want to do and so little time in the day to do them – I feel like that with only one kid! But the teensy moments of clarity seem to make it all worthwhile. love to you and your gorgeous lunatics. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. Now go and put your feet up please xx

      Delete
  3. Stepping on lego really does hurt. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending such good thoughts your way. Thanks for the heads up about Lego. As for Julia- I love that book. And as for delights in life; I prescribe another box set. I'm currently a little evangelical about 'Friday Night Lights'. I think Tammi Taylor is your kind of lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's on my list. Perhaps Keith and my current viewing of Danish cop drama 'The Killing' is not ideal at this time..? And ps: Julia took ten years to write The Book. Takes a little pressure off you Tor!

      xx

      Delete
  5. Rach, I've just finished about 12 days of work and my house is squalor. I read your last post in the midst of all those words and mess and I laughed out loud (like I always do), nodding my head in agreement. You are a marvelous woman and I admire your honesty and wit immensely.

    I hope you have chocolate and 50s Paris in your bath every night for the next week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, I wish you the same, when you finally get the chance to have that bath! Bonne chance xxx

      Delete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.