Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Sweetness of Five-Year-Old's


One of the unexpected benefits of starting school life is being given entry into the lovely world of the kindy classroom. Ivy's teacher is just beautiful, and my little mud-chicken is loving school. (Phew!) Getting to hang out in the classroom and watch the action is so fun. These little people are JUST SO DAMN CUTE.

I try and help with reading every Wednesday, while George squirrels around at my feet (she crawls! she's on the move!) and Teddy does classroom puzzles and listens to the teacher explain the world and wipe tears and praise good sitting. More than once the purity and promise of the kindy classroom has broght a lump to my throat. It seem like an everyday miracle to me.

This morning Ivy had news (which she calls 'niars', and your guess why is as good as mine). Every week her Niars is a fascinating insight  into what she finds special and important. Today she took in a photo of me taken when I was twenty. While I was in hospital having Georgette, Nanna and Pop looked after the big two. Ivy found this little photo in a frame and asked if she could have it. She carried it everywhere while I was gone, and now she keeps it wrapped in a cloth and tucked inside a box as part of her 'collections.'

Ivy and I clash sometimes, like mothers and daughters everywhere. Our schedule can get very hectic and I find myself bringing out the voice we call 'the fishwife' more often than I would like to. I cherish moments like this, amidst the chaos and fatigue. Moments like this remind me that I might stuff up every day on the small things, but in the big picture, it's all  OK. Watching this daughter of mine grow up is a pleasure and a joy.

And it's pretty funny, too.

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I think I may have taken that picture :) Is it in melbourne? I love the Kindy classroom too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God that Melbourne trip! The oven! Could be..

      Delete
  2. Chet has collections as well. And they are stashed in various places around the house. No photos of me though - his include photos of the Beatles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you stop making me cry with your gorgeous children and touchingly unique view on the deliciousness of burgeoning humans please? Kay thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon as you stop writing achingly hilarious and intelligent poetry with musically precise rhythm,Shell kay, thanks.

      Delete
  4. I am in exactly the same place with the sweet 5 year old. I do reading at the school to and love it, I love there sweetness and innocence. A certain 5 year old was torn between coming to the last ultrasound and finding out the sex of her sibling as she was going to miss her turn at show and tell!!! ( she saw sense and S &T was rescheduled)
    I like the sweet things they do like last night she said: "I got your toothbrush ready" and I went to look and she has put my head on the electric brush we share and put toothpaste on it. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That child is going to be a beautiful big sister.

      Delete
  5. That is just so lovely. I think that is one of 'the rewards' of parenting that people talk about.

    Isn't it great to love and be loved by the smalls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little Ivy is cute as a button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, funnily enough, that's one of her nicknames.

      Delete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.