Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Breastfeeding: The Endgame.



Check it out: My little baby bird is nine months old. Yep. She's been out as long as she was in.

George is is robust and thriving. Her mother, not so much. I'm still trying to get my back under control. My friend Jen (also back-troubled and freshly-babied)  and I are concocting plans to share a personal trainer and I'm back at yoga, but the pain, she is grinding at the heart of me.

My osteo told me last week that he thinks that when I finish breastfeeding, ligament-softening hormones won't play a role in the instability of my spine anymore. George, my darling; my little friend, I decided, the tits-out section of this party is over.

I bought a big old tub of formula and made her up a bottle, and she threw it back like a pro. It was great. I decided that I would wean her slowly, like I had her siblings, but at the next feed, George gave my nipple a sudden sharp bite with her two little fangs. Hi-ya!

I might have jumped a little. Maybe even invoked the name of (as my five-year-old niece would have it) Jesus Price. But this mama's been bit before, so I didn't take too much notice. My friend Michelle would call it 'niplash'. You just grit your teeth and hope they don't make a habit of it.

Except that she did it at the start of the next feed too, and the next, and the next. Bit, screamed, wailed, refused to feed.

I think she's doing that thing where you're getting fired and so you shout 'You can't fire me! I QUIT!'

It's all over. I wept a few tears as I fed her a bottle, put the call out to my beloved Neighbourhood Ladies for a breast pump to sort out the mechanics of the change-over, and resigned myself to a sudden, shocking, kind of horrible end to what has been an absolutely trouble-free and lovely breastfeeding relationship.

Still. Here's hoping that  it heralds the start of a new era of health and strength for me.

(And for you too, my friends of the interweb.)

17 comments:

  1. She is just too cute - bite? her? nooooo butter wouldn't melt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is totally edible Daisy. Maybe I started it...

      Delete
  2. Oh my, she is so CUTE! But, wait, nine months? How did they pass so quickly?

    I hope the hormones leave quickly and your spine gains more stability!

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. two new words for me: jesus price, and niplash. thanks for sharing this, i truly hope this brings an end to your back pain somewhat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I laugh every time I think of Jesus Price too...had to be shared.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is just some words of SUPPORT. I had to wean Lola recently too (teeth had just come in, but wasn't the main factor) - I thought I would breastfeed for a lot longer, but my milk disappeared when we moved, took motillium for a few months and then it was going again even on it... right the same time I started part time work. It just wasn't happening.

    It sounds like the right decision for you and your back. Here is to many pain free days ahead my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sal. It's gone really smoothly. There's something to be said for not a moment's peace...less time to stress out. x

      Delete
  5. Isaac stopped breastfeeding suddenly and dramatically too and it was a bit of a shock for me. But you're right, my joints improved after stopping and my general health did too.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V. I think my back is improving a bit already.

      Delete
  6. Oh poor love, its aways sad when its over. xx
    Jeez i cannot believe she is 9 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I had a little cry reading this. Sending hugs and hoping you bounce back after all those hormones leave your system. (Don't forget that can also be a bit crazy-making, though, and it's not you, it's the hormonal changes.)

    Well done for getting through nine months in and nine months out. What a gorgeous girl. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed that big hormone dump yet, Pigsy...fingers crossed. Maybe it's coming...(cue Jaws soundtrack)..

      Delete
  8. She is so beautiful! Here's to happier spinal days and dead lifts a plenty with the trainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tor. He is a very serious Gen Y young man. I have to control my terrible urges to bad humour (I'm sure you remember those from our office-sharing days..) Really, how are you suppsed to not crack a gag when an earnest 23 year old tells you they are not interested in 'going the quick route'? HOW?

      Delete
  9. I hope all that relaxin vanishes quickly - so your muscles can get strong and start supporting you again. Although, from the looks of the photo below, you seem to have your pashimottanasana down pat!

    As for the weaning.....two cups of sage tea will dry up your milk. Take care lovely one x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.