Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sunshine On My Shoulders

Ivy and Ted are watching Shaun the Sheep from their nests on the lounge. They have established very specific territory and marked the boundary with a laundry basket. At this moment there are no disputes. George is strapped into a complicated, colourful baby jail and practising hersnorting noises.  Keith is sleeping like the zombie dead, and I am trying to power through some admin (answer long-overdue emails, enrol for next terms yoga, pay the vege box) before he emerges, I have a bath and we lock the computers in the shed so we can enjoy some overdue together time.

Man, it's been a week.

My back (bulging disc, pinched nerve, thanks for caring) is on the upswing, which is to say that now, when I am struck with a sudden pain, it is more like I am on the prison lunch line and a smelly lifer has poked me with his sharp, pointy fingernail, rather than shivved me with a sharpened toothbrush. Major improvement.

I can lift the baby, change nappies, work around the house and drive the car, even if I must do them with a bit of a Thunderbird style stiff-backed waddle. A few days ago I couldn't do any of those things, and it was hard to stem my internal panic about how to manage life if it didn't resolve. Keith was having to take a lot of time off work to help and then making up his hours at night. Thank God for my wonderful Mum. Hard to imagine what I would have done without her this week.

Today, the sun is shining, we are all well at once (huzzah!) and I am looking forward to addressing, one by one, all the jobs that have been left untackled, and then getting to a few of the projects I've been dying to tackle lately: new bread recipes, some soap-making, stripping and painting the dresser on the deck that has been waiting my attention for weeks.

Happy weekending, my friends.


11 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for a reprieve of sorts. I once had a parasitic fly larvae in my head chomping away on a nerve - every time it hit a certain spot I would scream silently. Hope the lifer files his nails as he scrapes his way to freedom, for your sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Alison, I don't think I could have come up with a more scary example if I had tried. You win that round! Oh my God! And I hope you're all recovered. x

      Delete
  2. I am delighted to see your admin consisted of enrolling in yoga classes (says the yoga teacher that never goes to class as a student - ho-hum).

    Sunshiny weekend to you lovely lady x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit Rachael. Bad back* be gone! Hope you find some relief over the weekend. Along with some sunshine. Kellie xx
    *unintended trivialisation of severe, chronic, acute and extremely painful problem with use of the word bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank god. Was getting worried x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so know about the panic! Over the last five weeks my sliding vertebra caused the exact same thing and left me unable to walk even from the bed to the bathroom. Getting better now, and I am so glad you are on the mend! Am wishing for a fast and complete (as can be) recovery for you, and a nice sunshiney sunday for all of you!

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fine. 'Sliding vertebra' just sounds like a great big bowl of wrong. With sprinkles of wrong on top. Hope it's on the mend. x

      Delete
  6. Huzzah! ...have you been watching Mike The Knight by any chance?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.