Monday, April 16, 2012

Aeroplane Hi-Jinks, Flemish-Style

Keith is off to China tomorrow for a few days (sad face.) But those long flights can get so boring. As luck would have it, my friend Al sent me a link today to an amazing and hilarious artist who recently spent a long flight camped in the toilet taking self-portraits in the Flemish style.

Sheer brilliance.



About this project, Nina says 'While in the lavatory on a domestic flight in March 2010, I spontaneously put a tissue paper toilet cover seat cover over my head and took a picture in the mirror using my cellphone. The image evoked 15th-century Flemish portraiture. I decided to add more images made in this mode and planned to take advantage of a long-haul flight from San Francisco to Auckland, guessing that there were likely to be long periods of time when no one was using the lavatory on the 14-hour flight. I made several forays to the bathroom from my aisle seat, and by the time we landed I had a large group of new photographs entitled Lavatory Self-Portraits in the Flemish Style.' 





I love her! Happy travels, K-Dog.

10 comments:

  1. This has made my day. There were lots of people coming in and out of the BA flight we just got back from Istanbul this morning. But most of them were covered in vomit (sick toddler next to us and three sympathetic vomiters in surrounding rows. Who says travel isn't glamorous?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, that is BRILLIANT!! People are amazing - and a little bit mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet more laughs! Why do I not come here more often? This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually flown a plane
    I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked to check out all the new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good. This is a great article thanks for sharing this information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post"

    ReplyDelete
  7. have found it here. I had been searching on this topic for a long while but I was not able to find great resources like Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I that. Now I feel very confidence by your tips about that, I think you have chosen a great way to write some info on this topic. Thanks for sharing. Please visit for more information -

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the post. There is some good information here to bookmark.Hey - nice blog, just looking around some websites, seems a really nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run.Nice post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent stuff from you, man. I’ve read your things before and you are just too awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty. ~Sicilian Proverb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.