Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Days

I've been meaning to update this blog every day, but I feel like I rarely get two free hands at once, what with all these little people at my heels.

We are doing really well here in our little patch of sunlight. George is in fine form. We're trying to give her lots of help with baby school right now, to encourage her to meet her milestones. (I'm sure Keith and I will finally feel like everything is OK once she has her double degree in aeronautical engineering and interpretive dance. )

So tummy time it is, like it or not. (She doesn't like it.)


For the rest of us, life is grand. We've been cracking out some tunes with the Family Band, and even harvesting a few veges, and enjoying our days. Keith is working and soccering and wall-building, and I am deep in a spell of spring cleaning/clutter vanquishing madness. Madness! I am so keen to get rid of stuff and simplify our space that I should probably start head-counting the children at the end of the day. Maybe it's related somehow to the anxiety I feel about Georges accident, and trying to take control where I can. Regardless of psychology, it is so deeply satisfying to haul armloads of unwanted stuff to the op-shop. It's one of our favourite outings, me and my little gang. (Although we did recently overhear Ivy threaten Teddy 'If you don't stop that I'm going to drop all of your speciallest things to Vinnies!' so perhaps I've gone a little too far.)

Here's the tiny despot this week, in her best pearls and purple Saltwaters, taking a little break in the Salvation Army book aisles and clutching a pristine kids baking set, find of the day.

Ivy is so much fun these days. Currently she's into cracking gags with her Whoopee Cushion. Her favourite is to honk it loudly and then roll her eyes and say 'Do you think you could lighten up on the farts, Mummy?' Last night she set it all up under a towel at the dining room table and then asked me 'May I present to you your chair?' Five is a great age and Ivy is a word nerd like me. Yesterday she got out her sewing kit and asked if I needed her 'thumbkin', and when we are belting 'Perfect' by Fairground Attraction, one of our family band numbers, Ivy insists that the second line runs 'It's got to bee e e e e... werfect.' (Also she has fully mastered the finger-wagging expressive dance move, which fits almost any tune.)

I love it.

We are preparing for school next year but I find myself thinking more and more about home-schooling. We're considering how it might work. Meanwhile, Ivy loves to practice school stuff - and wear her uniform - and we all feel lucky that Keith working from home means that we get to have lunch together every day.

Ivy is very excited about going to school and if she really understood what Mummy had in mind with the homeschooling notions she would smack Mummy in the nose.

Meanwhile Teddy Bones is becoming clumsier by the day. A few days ago he actually managed to twist his legs so that he fell over while he was lying on the floor. It is truly a gift of some kind. This rambunctious, hilarious, stammering comedian refuses to wear pants.

Oh Ted.

Just thinking about him makes me laugh.


As for my sweet, smallest possum, here she perches today on the bump destined to be her buddy. The bump belongs to my beautiful friend Jen, who I count as one of my many, many blessings.

In short, we is good, and hope you is too.


6 comments:

  1. So great to hear the good news! Glad you are all doing so mighty fine - you are one gorgeous, funny, inspiring family!

    Fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely delighted to hear the Family Band is back together and making sweet, sweet music again! Yay for you guys. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pantsless kids! Pearls! Tummy time! May the good times continue to roll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved this post rach....i read it twice....n smiled bigly each time! Happy times indeed...makes me want to work from home n stop for lunch with tildy every day too :) love a plenty, lis n tild xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous to hear all is well in the House of Mogantosh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, and the world rights itself. Normal chaos resumed. So nice to read a joyous post from you. Bx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.