Monday, August 1, 2011

Endgame.

The countdown is on. Plum is exiting via zipper a week early, due to my general state of decay. The baby is a good size, and there's no medical problem with an early arrival. Me, I'm happy. As the last week or so has passed, I've ground more and more to a lumbering halt.

I remember, with a sort of hazy distance, the past where I could run four or five errands at a time, juggling tiny people and groceries and complex to-do lists, and even had a good time doing it all.

Right now, I need an hour to recover after hanging out the washing. Elvis the pelvis is still very unhappy, and the chronic pain is grinding me down. I have let go of all my romantic ideals about enjoying this last pregnancy and am just focused on getting to the end now. I'm in withdrawal mode a little from outside life and relationships, and just trying to get through the basics of household management and preparing for next week. I can't get around much, so I've concentrated all my nesting urges into Plum's dresser drawers. My friend Sarah says they look like the work of a serial killer.

Everybody is good. Last night at dinner Ivy said 'Do you want to hear a joke? Teddy did a poo up his nose and then he died!' Kieth and I stared blankly at her. 'Kidding!' she said brightly. After dinner Ted did his Marilyn Monroe impression for us, and if you haven't hear a two-year-old boy sing 'I don't mean rhinestones...' well, you haven't lived.

My most darling Keith turned 40 today. We gave him a fancy magnifying glass, some philosophy and some cashews. His favourite things. His first words of this second half of his life: 'This is preposterous!' Ivy, at 3am, threw a wobbly when she wet one pair of tracksuit pants and was offered a replacement pair that were NOT PINK.

Life, at the minute, is a little preposterous.

15 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing. Almost there. Not long and you'll be holding your little one in your arms. And the Elvis issue will have left the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach, I am so excited for you. So close to having your little Plum to nuzzle into the crook of his/her neck. Oh man. Those newborns. I must get me one. And a cuddle of yours in the meantime. This is brilliant news. You are an awesome and inspiring friend, and I just want you to know that even if you do eat deep-fried peanut butter sandwiches, I'll still love you. Thangyouverymudge.

    PS Happy Birthday Keith Beef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be thinking of you this week chick. Enjoy those heavenly days in hospital cuddling your newborn, eating hospital custard and saying 'yes' to all the drugs they offer! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, soon, soon! I can't wait to here. I know what you mean about losing the romanticism and just hanging on till the end. SO know what you mean! And I agree to Bumparella - say yes to ALL th drugs. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dodgy typing for which I must apologise: I meant HEAR, not here. And that I agree WITH Bumparella. Tut tut to me. Can you tell I've not had coffee yet???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there! I am super excited about the early exit for Plum, but I of course, am not getting my middle unzippered.

    BABY! OMG.

    (I'm a little tired and my words, they're all bleh and windy.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, Rach! It must be horrid to be in such pain and to have had such a rotten time this pregnancy... but I can't help but be excited for you and Keith to be this close to the finishing line. A little baby any day now! A baby!! Huge excitement. You will hold little Plum in your arms and every single minute of the past nine months will have been worth it x 100.
    Take good, good care lovely mama. Wishing you the very best and safe birth and recovery.

    xo

    And happy birthday Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No no no! I am behind on your baby blanket!Please reschedule, kthxbye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Keith! He's a lucky man to have such an inspiring woman who, remarkably, still has her sense of humour well and truly in tact at the end of the most crappy pregnancy I think I've ever heard about. Kellie xx PS Ivy's sense of humour is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited that Plum is nearly here! Stay well and good luck for the birth. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending great thoughts for the next week and the birth. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you lots of luck. Can't wait to hear news of Plum. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to wish you a stress-free eviction of your little squatter next week. Hope all goes well. Can't wait to see Plum in all his/her hairy glory. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes with getting through this final week and for a safe delivery.
    I'm totally relating to all that you describe - reaching the end of my own pregnancy I'm finding that I want to take a nap after I've buttered a piece of bread! Our children make comments of suprise when they find me hiding out somewhere other than bed. "oh you're awake!" exclaimed Mr. 4 at 2 o'clock in the afternoon like it was the biggest suprise he'd ever had :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your probably right in the thick of it all but I just wanted to say best wishes for the days (weeks, months...) ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.