Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Is Forty. Is Good!

In amongst the lung infections and the creaky bones and the whinging, it was my birthday last week, and I turned forty! Up until the last minute we didn't know if Keith would be well enough to make it away, but he rallied, and we flew off to Melbourne for a last-blast Mum and Dad getaway before the Little Hairy One arrives.

My lovely mum-in-law Liz minded the smallies, we had some excellent catch-ups with Keith's sister Jen, and managed a very little bit of wandering around, but we couldn't walk far. Mostly, we tucked up in the beautiful Langham Hotel, eating room service, taking baths and sleeping. One night, Keith wrapped up wooly, I strapped on my beige pelvic support undergarment, and we went to the ballet, which was just lovely.

Fancy hotel life, ballet and lipstick. It was much fun to play at grown up glamour for a couple of days.

My lovely friends bought me some beautiful boots, and wonderful packages arrived in the mail. Children sang down the phone and friends Facebooked sweet messages. Teppanyaki fun is planned with nieces and nephews. There have been visitors coming down with lunch and cakes. Girlfriends who make you lunch and then fold your washing - what could be better?

I think forty will be a fine old age to be. And in three weeks my toy-boy Dr Keith will join me in his fifth decade, and two weeks after that a new little person will come for a twenty-year sleepover at the Mogantosh Ranch.

So all is well.

13 comments:

  1. New boots, ballet, hotel baths and room service. A very fine way to celebrate a birthday. Sending lots of love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday 40 is very good! It is the age when you realise that you really are a grown up and not just pretending :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Happy birthday!

    The last is summed up perfectly, a twenty year sleep over, perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what they say, forty is the new thirty etc.....I am so hoping that fifty will be the new twenty when I get there next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and happy 40th birthday. We’re so delighted that you chose our hotel to spend your birthday. I hope you enjoyed our room service and our beds. Did you go to our little shop in the hotel, Flavours of Langham it has some great little take home gifts?

    Thank you again and your can always count on a perfect weekend at The Langham, Melbourne hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of room service, long baths and sleep - a great way to start off your 40th year. I hope the hairy plum doesn't give you too much trouble in the lead up to the big day. (Oh, and Oscar says to tell Teddy to get away with as many two year old antics as he can before plum arrives). x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big big happy birthday cheer to you, lady! You deserved that fabulous sounding celebration. And all the help from your girlfriends. And loads more. (And is that comment from the langham hotel for real? And did you visit their gift shop?) Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated happy birthday to you, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you manage to be 40, 35 weeks up le duff and still look like such a hottie? Particularly after all the gastro of doom? Nice work, lady, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that...twenty year sleepover! Hope your birthday was as great as it sounds in writing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds just lovely. Happy 40th Rach!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.