Friday, May 27, 2011

Sick Teddy.

I'm about to hit the sack after a pretty long and miserable day that just escaped ending with Ted in hospital. Both kids have been sick with colds for a few days now. Hence the usual night -time shenanigans (Ivy trying to wee in her wardrobe, Teddy demanding 3am dinner) and day-time cranky cabin-feveredness. I've been trying to get up to Sydney to see my sick niece, but instead been on intensive nursing duty.

This morning I took Ted up to the doc because he was pretty wheezy, and it all got a bit scary. He was straight onto a nebuliser (a sort of gas-mask) and steroids, and we were sent off for a chest x-ray and to wait a few hours for the steroids to work. If they didn't work enough it was off to the hospital for the night. Thankfully, he responded to the roids and his chest x-ray showed no obstructions (although it was not perhaps a good day for him to be wearing hot pink stockings and a flower-appliqu├ęd singlet.) Such fun to spend the day in suburban hell-holes entertaining a sick toddler and worrying though.

The doc has diagnosed him as asthmatic, an illness I'm going to have to learn up on. In the short term, every 4 hours for the next few days we need to put him on a hired nebuliser to blow drugs into his constricted lungs, and give him daily steroids. 'It might make him a bit hyper,' said the doctor. Understatement. Big.

As he began breathing in the medicine, Teddy gazed up at me, his sister and Keith. 'I wuv you', he told us earnestly in turn. When he was released, he stripped, danced wildly, ran up and down the corridor and shouted 'You are bum!' I watched from the lounge, dead-eyed, sapped of all life-force and holding a hot-water bottle to my angry hip.

I'm not surprised he went mental. He's on anti-biotics for an infected toe, Panadol for his flu and now steroids and four-hourly Ventolin. He's totally hepped up on goofballs. Tomorrow morning he'll probably come out of his room in a macrame headband and ask us to call him Moonbeam, but I'll deal with that on a needs basis.

Right now I'm calling this day over.

16 comments:

  1. ohhh...poor ted and parents...thats awful...and all you need right now quite frankly...love and hugs and am here if you want to talk. Will ask SE for you too...she'll know...plus any alternative therapies that may assist... her son an asthamatic too. Scary bones. sleep tight and hope it all goes ok. Let me know if I can help. love and hugs, lisa and tilda xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids on steroids are just SO MUCH FUN. Uuuuuugh. Hoping Teddy gets better sooner and that you all sleep tonight. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey, having to deal with all that and grow a whole new human being inside you... tough. Is it wrong that in the midst of all your pain and trouble the image of Teddy in hot pick stockings and a flower-appliqued singlet made me laugh?? Hope everyone stays firmly in the land of nod tonight and that hips, toes, lungs, sinuses, sanity and spirit recover with all possible haste. If I could invite you over for a cuppa and a humungous slab of chocolate I would... Bx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I ever tell you that my first ever nursing prac was in a kids respiratory ward. They threw me in at 8am just after the first pill round, just after the first nebs had been done. Yup. I thought I was at a white out fun fair.

    Hope Teddy gets well soon and the asthma is more illness related than illness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you still managed to get down a witty account of it all. Good work. Hope he gets well and off the drugs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lady, what a horrible time. Asthma is scary, poor you guys having to deal with it. My Dad's a naturopath and has really helped treat Shane's chronic adult asthma. One simple (and stinky) remedy is to put a halved brown onion next to the bed each night, it might help to open up the airways and assist breathing. Kellie xx ps I always find it really annoying when my Dad dishes out therapeutic advice to everyone on every ailment, but if you ever want to email me I can send you some more naturopath treatment ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Did I forget to mention how awesome you - and Teddy - are for the hot pink stockings and flower singlet? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the next few days are a bit easier as the roids peter out.

    Hopefully it is just viral induced wheeze, the better option rather than true asthma.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds pretty scary. We spent 6 hours at emergency last night with laboured breathing from Chet - not a lot of fun. Kendall has asthma and has had it since he was a child. In fact one of the last big attacks he had was just before Chet was born ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cripes, Rach---from the depths of Hell you could crack me up. Big hugs to sweet Ted (in all of his finery!) and strong mama vibes to you. Tough stuff...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys, lots of great advice there, will keep it all in mind. Moonbeam is doing much better today. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt really rude to be laughing out loud in that post - but I suppose that just proves your talent as a writer. Geez, the fact that you have managed to keep your humour amidst the chaos is highly commendable. I'd be curled up in a ball of worry and fatigue. I admire you and your words R! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh poor Teddy. And you. We used to pretend I was Darth Vadar with the nebuliser on. I liked it lots more after that. Still remember the smell. Like a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If Ventolin makes him nuts, and makes his heart race(which it often does), you can always ask the GP for an alternative. There are a few that might not have the same side effects for him.
    I'm a paediatric nurse, and I am soooo hearing you about the ventolin-induced craziness. And the roids will be making him super hungry.
    But this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing your little fella all the best, no doubt much better now, love Posie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.