Friday, April 8, 2011

My Bum Is Doing Something.


Hello, my friends!

We are still here.

Recent good times have included the following.

Bright lights. Big city.

Seaside Festival. A little rest and a bratwurst after viewing local medieval power-metal band Knight Quest. My personal highlight.

Plum is growing.

And Ivy has been practicing some maths in the autumn sunshine.


Is life. Is busy!

A quick report.

Ivy has been taking her cute pills. Four, I tell you, four is the greatest age. The tantrum count is very low. The conversation is fascinating. And the eccentric-o-meter is still spiking off the chart in the best of ways. Ivy can barely fit inside her bed with all the boxes of treasure she must store there. Jars of rocks. Handbags full of coins. Random collections of absurd curios.

We have been reading Little House on The Prairie and she has become obsessed with the notion of butchering a pig (sorry vegans.)

Ted's crazy two-year-oldness is receding, although he is still chucking some mammoth wobblies and waking us a lot at night with lunatic demands. Potty training is not progressing, despite the application of Wiggles underpants and dinosaur shaped wee-treats. Teddy, a constant chatterer, can verbally describe all elements of toileting and yet the practical apsects of the process are beyond him. Sporting his Wiggles underpants while the neighbours were over last weekend, he was heard to comment thoughtfully to himself 'My bum is doing something...' before a foul odour penetrated the gathering.

Unfortunately, a giant bag of hand-me-down toys yesterday contained some hidden bombs that resulted in Ted waving a giant Aussie flag and Ivy sporting pink plastic high heedls and clutching a sequinned Beanie Baby with the heart-warming legend SPOILED! across its plush, sequinned chest. Keith and I have called it Hot Mess. And Hot Mess will be disappeared.

Keith's work is going well, and soccer season has begun, so twice a week he limps painfully into the house before wrapping some part of his body in ice and announcing 'Life is fantastic!'

Plum is gestating away like a champion, rolling and kicking in the little jumping castle constantly. My 20-week scan went fine last week, and I'm feeling great, although still pretty tired. Spending two hours a night on the couch watching cooking programs and docos on IView while ingesting obscene amounts of Turkish Delight seems to be helping me through.

I am feeling very aware of our blessed time in the sun right now, with healthy children, a happy relationship and no significant troubles upon us. Friends and family very dear to us are struggling with sickness and worry. A thousand joys and a thousand sorrows, goes the Korean proverb on life. We are having our thousand joys, and others their sorrows. My heart goes out to them.


9 comments:

  1. What a post! What hilarious characters your kids are, I adore reading about your family. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you about four. I love four. i love the company of four, I love the questions and cleverness, I love the bizarre logic and the reasons and the kindness shown. Four is my favouirte time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all is well with you loverly folk. Ivy's coat is amazingly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Point 1: I echo Two Tuesday's sentiment about Ivy's coat.

    Point 2: If hours of cooking shows and sweets are what goes on at the Mogantosh household, I think I shall visit, thanks very much.

    Point 3: Happy posts are happy! Nice gestating, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was eyeing off that blue coat too. And yes 4 is such a lovely age. So is 5 and 6 : ) My little girl is such good company. Amazing watching their little minds tick over. Have awesome and bizarre conversations with her. And yes we still have the "treasures" in bed, under the bed, in the pillowcase, all the bedside drawers. Cant throw any of the random flotsam jetsam out - she knows where it all is and when a bit has been moved (or God Forbid thrown out). Glad to hear all is well - and btw still laughing about the "bum doing something" ahuh it sure is its called a poo little man....he'll make the connection ....one day : ) I have a 4 yo who is finally (FINALLY) sorting this out (most days)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear all is well in the land of Mogantosh...Teddy's musings sent hot coffee spurting straight out my nose (I shall never learn, Rachael...)

    Wendy
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so you learned the lesson to check the hand-me-down bag first now, clearly they were getting rid of the 'Hot Mess' themselves. It's amazing how things can go missing - hide them first, if they are upset, you might 'find them' & be the hero, or after long enough, toss them, never to be seen or shared again. When we move it's amazing how many awful things go missing. Enjoy your 4y.o. such a fun age, they are so uninhibited, trying to remember, my youngest is 7 now, ahhhh, time flies, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go you, gestating like the best of them. So lovely to hear life is bubbling away so happily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm...Turkish delight! As for hog butchering...if you ever make it the U.S.A. in August, your little lady could watch the process at the lovely Goschenhoppen Festival. It is our 4-year-old Rowan's favorite bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.