Friday, October 15, 2010

Bloodied Fangs of Carnivorous Delight. Plus Chocolate.


My oh-so-nearly-four-year-old has recently entered the obsessive land of dinosaur love.


She has a favourite book that belonged to Keith as a child, and she can stare at the page where the T-Rex is viciously disemboweling the Stegosaurus for long, loving minutes. She marks this page with a green clothes peg so she can come back to it easily.

When she's upset she says 'I have felt this sadness longer than a Diplodocus.' And when we play Doctors she is invariably at the clinic because a dinosaur bit her leg off.

Birthday party tomorrow. I've been freezing tarts, constructing fairy cakes, wrapping parcels, shopping for stickers, and digging out the Best Dress. Okay, from the hand-washing basket. But it's been nicely aired.

Most importantly: today I've been working on the dino-cake. I hope he doesn't scare the other children, and I hope the bloodied pig doens't offend the vegetarian, but my aim is to make joyful the heart of my tiny emo, so I went for the bloody fangs of death.

Luckily I have a scientist at hand for pattern-making.


Poor Tyrannosauus had to step aside for dinner prep.

And I have my friend Jo to thank for the walnut-brain. A nice, scientific touch, I thought, to balance out all the sensationalist gore.

Too much?

19 comments:

  1. That is one rad cake. Definitely not too much.

    Loving the new blog do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa. That is going to be the talk of the town, my friend. (And the analysts couch, one day in the not- so-distant future.) Enjoy your notoriety, O Awesome One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so bloody fantastical!1000 mumpoints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Err, different. That much is for certain...!!! Am sure she will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe! Hilarious!!
    Hey as long as Ivy loves it that's what counts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gory cake is perfect - it'll get covered in blowing-out-the-candles-slobber anyway!! I stumbled across your blog once and it made me smile. I just revisited and smiled again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking forward to hearing all about the antics at the party... if its as windy there as it is here the electricity in the air will certainly add to the chaos.
    ps great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rad cake. The walnut brain is brilliant. Happy Birthday little Ivy, have a super fun party tomorrow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the best cake I've ever seen! I hope Ivy had a ball and that you guys got through it with your sanity intact. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You. Full stop. Are. Full stop. Tops. Full stop.

    I reckon Ivy's T-rex could swallow Mitchy's Tri-ranna-ceratops whole.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be looking out for this one in the next print of the Women's Weekly Birthday Cake Book...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sensationalist gore and dino-lovin kids kind of go hand in hand (or so all the dino books we have would suggest!)

    Did the scientist have input on the blue eyes?

    And the mammal?

    Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. Particularly the pig. Is genius...how did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You actually did the walnut brain! Awesome. Can I have some of the leftover walnuts? I'd like to eat them whilst pretending to be a zombie.

    Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, IVY!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, wasn't it the Stegasaurus that had a walnut-sized brain? Or maybe that was the one that had "two" brains? I don't know, it's been a while since I was young dinosaur nerd, though I should probably brush-up considering where Toivo seems to be headed with his current shifting obsessions.

    The cake is totally awesome - not at all too much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously all sorts of awesome. You are one clever mama.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When my soon-to-be-4-year-old requested a "blood cake" for his birthday two weeks ago, mama made. Glad to see we aren't the only goulish household on the planet. Will be showing said 4-year-old your pics to inspire more ghastly ideas for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.