Friday, May 14, 2010

Week O'Mama's: Tuesday


Families come big (Hi Wendy!); and they come small too. Today's Mama is Tuesday, and she's raising her mini-me Tuesday all by herself. She writes at Two Tuesdays, following the breadcrumb trail of her magpie mind to thoughts on life, craft, interiors, birth and all that comes with being a solo-Mama to a toddler. Tuesday is smart and sweet....it's a lovely combination.

Here's Tuesday:

When did you start blogging and what do you use your blog for?

I started blogging way back in 2006. It was suggested by my soon to be PhD supervisor as a way of getting into the writing every day groove. Pretty soon after that I found out I was pregnant and my blog turned into a private diary of my pregnancy. Blogging didn't get back on my radar until my daughter was almost two and I acutely felt the weight of living in an isolated parent bubble and decided to interact in the many conversations I'd been listening in on. I've not found my blogging groove - but I like to share what makes me happy, sad and anything in between.

Has blogging had an impact on your parenting?

Insomuch as I feel like I'm engaging in an energised, positive dialogue with other people, yes. I think blogging has made me feel more connected with the mumsphere and that has positive ramifications in both our lives. I enjoy conversations about parenting styles, education perspectives, design for children and play ideas. I'm not sure that these influence me overmuch, but I am definitely stimulated by the information shared. I'm most grateful that these frank conversations exist.

Tips for solo mamas?

I've always been a solo parent. I have absolutely no idea what it would be like to not parent alone. I don't really think these are tips - merely what I've found works well for me. Practically, I find that doing the washing (and I mean the whole cycle wash, peg, fold, put away) each and every day really helps me keep on top of things. Emotionally, I think that you have to decide what is really important and focus on that. There are so many things that seem important that really aren't and the time spent on those things could better be spent elsewhere - I think this sort of prioritisation really helps me keep a cap on my mum guilt. For the very same reasons I try to avoid multi-tasking and focus on what I'm doing. I find that a rhythm (or routine) to our days is essential. I (we) definitely feel the effect of an alteration of rhythm. I've truly eased back on the expectations I have of myself - and yet I relish in the air of possibility that motherhood has provided me. Most importantly I've learnt to listen to my instinct and definitely tune out when the spoonfuls of wisdom are shot my way. And finally, I think a wee bit of time to do exactly what you want each and every day is essential. I allot myself twenty minutes of sleep time as my precious minutes. Even if, most days, it is just to have a shower by myself without interruption. Luxury. Sheer luxury.

Favourite mum-bloggers?

Currently I'm really enjoying The Rummey Bears, Pottymouthmama, your lovely blog, Checks and Spots and The Nutrients of Life. I'm inspired by Mum bloggers who let it all hang out. I find it a bit intimidating when life seems uber perfect. There are so many great blogs out there, I am the thankful recipient of bucketfuls of inspiration from these women.

A tale about your own Mum?

My Mum came with me when I gave birth. She was so touched that she got to cut the cord that she couldn't give up the scissors with which she'd done the deed. She's had them framed and the take pride of place on her dressing table next to a photograph of all her grandchildren. I'll always remember the look of sheer joy on her face when they said that she had a granddaughter. I'm thrilled we all got to share this amazing moment.

2 comments:

  1. I love Two Tuesdays, those ladies are goodness right to the core. This was a beautiful interview.

    The story of her mum and the scissors made me cry.

    Unrelated, yesterday I cried over dinner while we were talking about the sad scene in Dumbo.

    (Motherhood has turned me into a bit of a sook...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for including us! Feeling all warm and fuzzy now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.