Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A happy mummy-moment.


Some weeks as a parent can leave me feeling leached of life-force, mentally foetally-positioned, cursing Supernanny and rocking back and forth, muttering 'IUD, diaphragm, IUD, diaphram, pill....'

But then there are other weeks.

The ones where I feel like things might be on track.

This has been one of those weeks.

Ivy has made the transistion into a big bed, enrolled in the most beautiful pre-school after a long, thoughtful time of planning, and her sleep-time dummy has been sent, wrapped and beribboned, to the fairy babies.

We went on a walk to the letterbox after we wrapped the dummy and wrote the fairy babies a nice letter wishing them well. Ivy clutched her package all the way and kept up her usual running commentary on life. (Current favourite resonse to my every statement: 'But that doesn't make any sense.' )

At the postbox I felt overcome with a surge of emotion. I picked Ivy up and wrapped her in a hug. 'I'm so proud of you, Ivy, 'I said, a bit teary. 'You're such a wonderful 3-year old, and you're getting so grown up. Now you're in a big bed, you'vre going to go to a beautiful litle school soon, and you're even giving your dummy to the fairy babies. What a great girl you're turning into.'

Ivy doesn't always tune into the same emotional frequency as me. But today, with a wide, proud smile, she hugged me back, and I knew she'd really registered. It felt like a layer of love settled on her, like all the work of mothering had coalesced into a moment. It felt like the enthusiastic love I shower on her, even if I get other stuff wrong, is helping her to feel proud and strong somewhere deep inside, and building reserves for whatever her future brings.
And that, my buddies, is a good feeling.

5 comments:

  1. ...I got the good feeling today too when Busy hugged me so tight and said "I love you more than all the banana bread in the world"
    and that makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the response hug. There's nothing better. Nothing can beat it. Ivy even makes me teary. I'm feeling proud of her too. Hi-fives all around. But not the group hi-five. Shudder, shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh tears! love the big bed...well done!lisa and matilda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, at the end of each, day - good and bad - love is all we've got. It's super, super important and sounds like you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you more than all the banana bread in the world"

    Web hosting india

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.