Saturday, August 8, 2009

Which is the naughtiest vegetable?

If you're like us and try to live a crunchy granola kind of life, eating organic is one of those things you dream about, like weeing without an audience, or finding chocolate in your handbag, or winning Lotto and becoming a glamorous philanthropist with a collection of interesting hats.

Keith and I are old and tough, and can take life's daily poisons, but I'd like to keep the little creatures in my charge as pure as I can. Their systems are more susceptible to toxins and pesticides. And as a feeder, I really like to think hard on how I'm nurturing the family. A lot of love is chopped, roasted, baked and plated up in this kitchen.

I read The Complete Idiots Guide to Organic Living recently (a book with my name written all over it.) It had a seriously useful breakdown on the best and worst vegetables to buy in terms of their contamination:

Them say:

On any given day, the choices you make...could expose you to anywhere from 12-14 pesticides. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), avoiding the most contaminated vegetables can lower your pesticide content by almost 90%.


Worst

These babies require the most pesticides to grow commercially, because of being attractive to insects or having a thin skin that contaminants can easily penetrate.

1. Peaches
2. Apples.
3. Capsicum.
4. Celery.
5. Nectarines.

Best 5

These fellas come from the EWGs least contaminated list.

1. Onions
2. Avocados.
3. Sweet corn.
4.Pineapples.
5.Mangoes.

While the kiddos are so small I've given up on nurturing a vege garden. Not enough mother-love to go around in this nest. I'll pot some tomatoes in the next few weeks, but I don't think things will go much further than that this year. So I'm left juggling the budget to buy the best food I can to feed the tribe. I hope this list will be useful.

Plus, we have to feed the drop-ins.



5 comments:

  1. That is a totes great list - thanks for sharing it. I'm going to write it out and pop it on my fridge. Bummer about the apples. I thought strawberries were high in pesticides too. But I have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion. QUELLE SURPRISE!!

    Loving the drop-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not wrong, unfortunately - strawberries are number 6...

    But for balance, bananas are no. 9 on the good list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the list of naughty vegetables - thankfully we have been doing ok - especially with the winning combination of avocado and banana. Still, Chet has been eating a few apples - may have to rethink that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...it is so hard to feed the little ones the right food!...have you seen the nuts list! frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like red capsicum. And not just because it makes me burp. As for the stunning virtues of crunchy granola, we made home made muesli this week (!) (part of the much needed come home detox), but now I can't get 'puffed kamut' out of my head. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.