Tuesday, July 7, 2009

To hyphenate or not to hyphenate?

I'm musing on what to go by when married. Nearly as exciting as my Confirmation as a eleven-year-old, when much of lunchtime was taken up in heated discussion over which saint had the prettiest name. 'Angela' was very popular in the early 80's. I can't remember if she was the one who stopped eating for God, or the one who plucked out her eyeballs for God with a stick... (6th grade lunchtime conversation changed soon after Confirmation, when Kymana Hastwell-Baton started bringing in her parents' copy of The Joy Of Sex.)

Some inspiring married examples from my mum-in-law:



6 comments:

  1. I love the examples. I am half my maiden name, half my married name. And have been for 4.5 yrs. I like to think if I ever need to get away from the police, I already have an alias. I'm sure it won't work, but heck, it's worth imagining (not being in the clink part though).

    But it's really just me being lazy. I have changed some documents to being married, and most are still my maiden name. Sigh. One day I'll get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally do what potty mouth mama does..... And for the same reasons!
    Sigh - ditto

    I was hoping you'd both merge to Mogantosh.

    xx L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy was the one who plucked her eyes out - I work for her..."rather be plucked than BEEEEEPED" is the joke!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha...those samples are hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricky question - I once wrote a newspaper feature about what to do; found the women's responses completely fascinating ... think it's still available here - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/26/1027497411079.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. woops sorry it wouldn't let me post the whole url but if you go to http://www.charlottewood.com.au, click 'short fiction & other writing' then look under journalism, it's the second article. If you can be bothered! phew.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for talking to me. I don't got cooties. Oh, except for when I got cooties.